EO Girish Verma arrested by Punjab VB
October 12, 2022 - PatialaPolitics
EO Girish Verma arrested by Punjab VB
Vigilance arrests EO Girish Verma for amassing disproportionate assets
Reveals properties’ list purchased by Girish Verma, family members
SAS Nagar/ Chandigarh October 12 : The Punjab Vigilance Bureau (VB), during its ongoing campaign against the corruption in the state, has registered a disproportionate assets case against Girish Verma, Executive Officer (EO), earlier posted at Nagar Council, Zirakpur, SAS Nagar for amassing huge wealth than the disclosed sources of his income by misusing his official position. In this case Girish Verma, now posted as EO Bhikhiwind, Amritsar, has been arrested and would be produced before the competent court tomorrow.
Disclosing this here today, the spokesperson of the VB said during the investigation the Bureau has found 10 different properties which had been purchased by the EO in his own name besides his wife Sangeeta Verma and son Vikas Verma. Apart from this, he had invested Rs 01 crore 32 lakh in two developer firms in the name of his son.
He said the VB would also probe the role of other persons who had transferred huge amounts of money into the accounts of family members of Girish Verma. In addition to this, during further investigation the Bureau would find more undisclosed moveable/immoveable properties amassed by the accused besides his links with the higher public servants and businessmen so as to probe the investments, if any, made by the accused during his postings at various places, he added.
Revealing more details he informed that the VB has fixed a check period to investigate the moveable and immoveable properties of the above said accused from 01-04-2008 to 31-03-2021 and it has come to light that this officer has received an income of Rs. 7,95,76,097 from all known sources of his come and spent Rs. 15,11,15,448 during this period. Thereby It was found that he spent more than Rs 7,15,39,352 which is 89.90 percent of its income and accumulated wealth through corruption. On the basis of this probe the VB has registered a case under section 13 (1) (b), 13 (2) of Prevention of Corruption Act at VB police station, SAS Nagar.
Giving the details of named/benami properties created by the suspect are as follows :
1. A showroom number 136, Sector 14, Urban Estate Panchkula has been purchased by the suspect.
2. House No. 432, Sector 12, Urban Estate Panchkula has been purchased by the suspect.
3. The suspect has made a statement to purchase Plot No. 21, WWRW Society Block-B at village Kansal in the name of his wife Smt. Sangeeta Verma.
4. House No. B-4, 2047/1, Chaura Bazar at Ludhiana had been purchased by the suspect in the name of his wife Sangeeta Verma along with other persons.
5. A commercial plot No. 14 having area of 150 square yards has been purchased at Dhakoli in the name of his wife Sangeeta Verma by the suspect.
6. The suspect has purchased 19 kanal 16 marla land at village Khudal Kalan in the name of his wife Sangeeta Verma.
7. Showroom No. 25, Ground Floor, at Sushma Imperial Zirakpur was booked by the suspect’s wife Sangeeta Verma for Rs. 51 lakhs.
8. Showroom No. 26, Ground Floor, at Sushma Imperial at Zirakpur was booked for Rs 51 lakh by his son Vikas Verma for Rs 49 lakh.
9. The suspect has purchased a commercial plot No. 16 having area of 142.50 sq. yards in U.S. Estate at Dhakoli in the name of his son Vikas Verma.
10. The suspect has purchased a commercial plot No. 17, having area of 142.50 sq. yards in U.S. estate at Dhakoli in the name of his son Vikas Verma.
11. An investment of Rs 56 lakh has been made in Balaji Infra Buildltech firm by the suspect’s son Vikas Verma.
12. Rs 76 lakh has been invested by the suspect’s son Vikas Verma in Balaji Developer Kharar.